Glen McNamee
Minorities are not upset about Poppies being sold.
Posted on Sep 16, 2011 in Politics

UPDATE: This post was original written in 2011 but has been updated since then as the rumour as still circulating many years later.

There is a new many year old rumour spreading like wildfire on Facebook, and it goes something like this.

I’ve just heard some really shocking news. The Royal British Legion are not selling poppies in certain areas on Nov 11 this year. This is because some minorities say that it will upset them. I say F – O**. The poppy is a symbol of reverence for our fallen heroes of all the wars the BRITISH military have fought in. BRITAIN STAND UP AND SAY ‘WE WANT THE POPPY SOLD EVERY WERE IN THE UK’. THIS IS OUR RIGHT TO REVERE OUR FALLEN!!!.

Obviously, this isn’t in the slightest bit true. There was a issue in 2011 with The Royal British Legion selling Poppies in Birmingham. This was because they didn’t get permission from the local council in time and had nothing to do with minorities being offended. This decision was reversed when Shelter and The Anthony Nolan Trust kindly allowed The Royal British Legion to the collect in their place.

“We have withdrawn the licence to fundraise in Birmingham on 12 November and have asked Birmingham City Council to allocate this date to the Royal British Legion,” a Anthony Nolan Trust spokesman said.

There are no reliable sources for this story or any stories about  “minorities” being offended by the sale of poppies.  Just like the England shirts are not going to be banned from story, some terrible person has created a rumour to stoke fear and hatred.

Update 28/09/2016; In a 27 September 2016 Facebook post, the Royal British Legion denied the claim had any truth to it:

Thanks for alerting us to a message you’ve seen on Facebook, which states the poppy is not being offered in certain areas of the country.

This is untrue. We have always offered the poppy in every community in the UK and we will continue to do so.

We would like you to know that the Poppy is universally respected as the symbol of Remembrance and hope. It is offered to, and worn by, all communities in Britain. The money raised by the Poppy Appeal supports all members of the Armed Forces, veterans and their families.

82 Comments

1. Nikki says:

Yes! Common sense at last! Thank you for this post – I got here by googling said ridiculous facebook status trying to confirm my gut feeling that it was a load of mindless copy/paste rubbish. Will be doing my tiny bit to set the record straight, but as soon as you refute one of these things another one just pops up to take its place. It’s infuriating. *Sigh*.

• mercer says:

Why don’t you try not being so uptight i mean come on it actually infuriates you? Mabee you should try spending a little more time in the real world rather than the internet.

• Nicky B says:

It may have all been wild rumour, but I think it has seemed plausible to some folk due to the fact that this time last year there was a lot of media coverage over the fact that some work places and buisnesses refused to let employee’s wear their poppy, from fear of offending certain group’s.

2. kelly says:

Glad i found this, it annoys me when people put things like that on Facebook and it all gets out of context

3. Mary says:

I always check stuff before I put on FB or respond to anything, people believe anything on there without checking first thanks for this

4. Anne says:

People see these things on other people’s status, it makes them naturally angry, they then re-post on their status, the chain gets started. It’s not their fault. The fault lies with the moron who starts the hoax. They’re sad people who need to get a life, we should pity them.

• A Nonny Mouse says:

> They’re sad people who need to get a life, we should pity them.

Euthanising them would be better.

• Stuart says:

Quote: People see these things on other people’s status, it makes them naturally angry, they then re-post on their status, the chain gets started. It’s not their fault.

It is their fault for not checking the facts before spreading it further. IT IS TOTALLY their fault!

5. trey says:

yeh also just saw this posted here as well http://www.thatsnonsense.com/view.php?id=1381 and they agreed with you. the people who post these things are sick.

6. jason gerrard says:

but forgive if i am reading this wrong but it clearly states that birmingham council have stated that the royal british legion have been told that they themselves can not sell the poppys because a piece of paper was not submitted in time, thats a bit pathetic as 11 november at 11 am has been engrained in the british psycy for a good few years but birmingham council HAS stopped the right to sell in certain shops, it’s down to shelter and the anthony nolan trust has the only reason the poppy is allowed to be sold in the anti white birmingham city council area. so really the rumour is true.

• Gerri P says:

No it’s not true at all. All cities have restrictions on on street fundraising so that shoppers aren’t permanently harassed by charity collectors. Why should Birmingham change their rules because YOU think they should. Get a grip

• CJ Bill says:

The point is this is Birmingham Council madness and nothing to do with “minorities”. If you read the content some sick bastard started this update off to stoke race/ religious hatred…

• Glen McNamee says:

“anti white birmingham city council”

You are not only wrong, you are a impossibly wrong and very silly.

• KC says:

Birmingham City Councils licensing section suggest that if you want to collect on specific dates then the forms should be in by November of the previous year. This is something that all of us who volunteer for charities are aware of. It is basically a misunderstanding because someone didn’t get the paperwork in on time and it’s been blown out of all proportion.

7. Rachelle says:

Someone posted that on my wall and I immediately looked into it. People need to check the facts.

8. Di,reading says:

mmmm dont shoot the messengers,it is’nt the first time that the true british people have been told something like this,there is always a reason behind it, its like me saying im a cousin of a fallen soldier in Reading and im going to sell poppies outside a mosque on the Oxford Road, but l guess that would make me a domino spot who is affending the whole of the West Reading??? but if l said im gonna send my poppies to helmand province for all our fallen lads,who would be behind that??? true people like you see on the Streets of Wootton Bassett and Carterton, poppies for my gr8 uncles who were dunkirk heroes or gr8 gr8 uncles/grand father on our local war memorial.. Show repect and give to the cause,remember the fallen heroes who left us a legacy.

• Glen McNamee says:

” dont shoot the messengers”

Why not? They are passing on a message that it obviously false.

“,it is’nt the first time that the true british people have been told something like this”

It’s NOT TRUE. That’s the most important thing. You can say “yes, but” as much as you want, it still will not be true.

9. Nicky B says:

It may have on some part, all been wild rumour, but I think it has seemed plausible to some folk due to the fact that this time last year there was a lot of media coverage over the fact that some work places and buisnesses refused to let employee’s wear their poppy, from fear of offending certain group’s. And also in response to shoppers being harrassed from charity collecter’s, speaking from my own experience with The Royal British Legion that have been collecting I have never seen them approach or harrass folk to purchase a Poppy, it has alway’s been on the merit of the individual to make a donation if they so choose!

10. oilver says:

its not that hard to beleve as it seems the british left wing trators put people that hate this contry s feelings first . for example one of my freinds removed there child from a school because they were told after gym they had to shower and change elswhere as the muslum children would not do so in the company of christians . because they feel we the nativs of this land are dirty people ! if we go to there country our women would be stoned to death for refusing to cover there hair . but when we tell them it affends our culture to where burquas they refuse to comply and we axcept like cowards !!

• Glen McNamee says:

“for example one of my freinds removed there child from a school because they were told after gym they had to shower and change elswhere as the muslum children would not do so in the company of christians . because they feel we the nativs of this land are dirty people”

Yeah, I totally believe this, you muppet.

• Bill says:

Oliver, is this one of those schools where it was decided to remove the holocaust from the curriculum due to the fear of offending the muslims?

Sounds about as plausible. I.e. sounds like bullshit dreamt up by people wishing to stir up racial tension through the spreading of lies that are just believable enough to those that wish to believe this sort of thing because it suits their racist and xenophobic agendas.

I’m sure that’s not you, though.

• Nicky B says:

@ Bill, you pressume to know so much about me, please do enlighten me on my blinkered hateful tiny existance.

• Bill says:

It’s not very big. It’s not very nice. It’s yours and yours alone.

• Nicky B says:

Oh, I must have been mistaken. I was certain I had asked you to enlighten me, or could it just be that you do not have the capability to do so……….No thought not!!

• Bill says:

I don’t think that any of the stars in the sky would have the capability to enlighten you, Nicky.

• A Nonny Mouse says:

*natives
      *If
      *their
      *But
      *offends
      *accept

Not to mention all the missing commas.

However, I think you’ve demonstrated your level of education and it seems to demonstrate a strong correlation between ignorant hate filled messages and people who can’t even learn to write THEIR OWN LANGUAGE correctly.

Well done, moron.

11. Morteza says:

hi: I think we should be more cautious about rumors. There is a war going on in internet and the whole world. The fronts of this inhuman war is not crystal clear. Every one is trying to mislead. One has to be too careful
    There are some people who are engaged in this war intentionally, and some who help spread the rumors unknowingly. Thanks for the post.

12. stevie says:

well no wonder these rummours are circulating on nov 11 last year there were a group of minorites buring poppies and holding banners saying britsh soldiers burn in hell so clearly that say that minorites do have a problem with remembrance day and that is why people belive these kind of rummours as long as the minorites keep doing things like this people are going to keep blaming them for thses kind of things they need to realise that this is our country and that just because they dont like somthing we do that dosnt meen it should stop they come here and work in our shops and bussiness we give them the courtsey of that they should respect us enough not to do things that start silly rummors im not being rascist i just think we should get more respect for letting them stay here and to be honest i belived the rummors at first because it is something the idiots in parliment would do theyd upset the many to keep the few happy. sorry for any miss spelling mistakes i have realy bad dyslexia.

• Glen McNamee says:

“ell no wonder these rummours are circulating on nov 11 last year there were a group of minorites buring poppies and holding banners saying britsh soldiers burn in hell”

Nope. A group of four people burning Poppies, isn’t an excuse to create and pass on a rumour that has no basis in fact.

“so clearly that say that minorites do have a problem with remembrance day”

Nope. Again, a group of extremists does not represent anything but themselves. It’s like saying “because the EDL exist, all White British people are moronic racists”, it’s just not true.

• A Nonny Mouse says:

> It’s like saying “because the EDL exist, all White British people are moronic racists”, it’s just not true.

Unfortunately, it is fairly true. 🙁

• Bill says:

I’d like to hear you say that out loud. At what point would you take a breath?

But, yeah, like Glen says, you don’t define an entire creed by the actions of an insignificant minority. The EDL is great example, I very much hope the Arab world don’t see the thuggish behavior of that group and assume that that is an accurate representation of my grandmother.

13. Baz says:

Great post mate, more are needed. Thanks!

14. (Name removed) says:

I was sent your blog after reposting the comments about the poppy on fb. thank you for your views however as an army wife and mother, both of whom are serving in Afganistan at the moment, I have a right to repost something i think is disgusting and wrong.
    some tv presenters were asked to remove their poppies as it was offensive-to whom and some shops refused to have the poppie sold at their tills.
    the sad fact is that our troops are putting their lives on the line for the freedoms we all have so surely it is not so wrong for people to show their respect in such a small way.
    if you dont respect the poppy then here is something simple -dont buy one. and if you dont like something that is posted on fb-then delete it or dont re post. dont however think that we dont know some of the facts.
    thank you again and lets be thankful that we live where we can all have a different view.

• Glen McNamee says:

“there is some facts to the rumours as both my husband and my son as well as my son in law have all been on the recieving end of this predudice you say does not exsist.”

I didn’t say prejudice doesn’t exist. I said the above rumour was wrong, which is it. The British Legion state it is. I didn’t comment on anything else.

“some tv presenters were asked to remove their poppies as it was offensive-to whom and some shops refused to have the poppie sold at their tills”.

You have a a legitimate source for these bits of info? Otherwise it just looks like another rumour.

• (Name removed) says:

Hello. can you please remove these comments from your blog as i was not responsible for them. the person has been spoken to and it wont happen again.
        there is some very personal information here that i do not want to be shared.
        i apologise for any inconvience caused and thank you for your support in this matter

• (Name removed) says:

i have spent the last couple of hours trying to make the trash can icon work, to no avail, so would be grateful if you could just delete. Thank you

• Nicky B says:

Very well stated Kathleen, but I do fear that you will be prompted to prove your facts and back-up your opinion. I also wish a safe and speedy return Home of your Husband and Son. God Bless.x

• Bill says:

Nicky, the spreading of mistruth and rumour without any basis in fact is atrocious.

On matters such as this it is critical that the truth is what is circulated.

• Nicky B says:

Yes and I agree with you totally, my gripe is that if you are going to converse with folk on subject’s such as this that have emotions running high and on some parts rightly so, who are you then to question folk, that have factual knowledge behind their comment’s liar’s, biggot’s, hateful or racist and in one instance basically stupid?

• Nicky B says:

Bill I missed your post with regards to the stars in the sky being able to enlighten me, Well let me tell you my tiny blinkered existance as you refered to has not only seen but experienced many an appaulling act in the name of whatever colour, greed, race, religion, and total ignorance to afford me the right to pass comment .

15. (Name removed) says:

The proof is young man, we tried to get poppies before remembrance. having lived in Germany for 10 and as i was part of the military community we could always get them. do you remember germany-the country we went to war with and is the reason we wear the poppy. we wore poppies openly in germany and we all respected whatever way we remember.
    the point is we couldnt get them and had to look for shops that had them, when we questioned why they were not available the answer was-because we dont want to offend some people.
    is this proof enough, or is it a case of if you dont like what you hear well it just cant be true.
    also there is a yellow ribbon hanging from my gate at the moment and it will stay there until the safe return of the men i am supporting…..
    and guess what……some people find it offensive and would like it removed.
    perhaps you should walk a mile in the shoes of a military family and maybe your eyes would not be so closed.

• Glen McNamee says:

You seem to be very angry at me for some reason. I have no idea why. I stated that the above rumour was untrue. This was confirmed by the British legion. You said “some tv presenters were asked to remove their poppies as it was offensive-to” I asked you to provide a link to verify this rumour. You haven’t done this, you gone off on a tangent ranting about something different.

• Nicky B says:

Well here’s an idea Glenn, Instead of trying to offend folk why don’t you research into the info they have given you, go find out for yourself if it to be true. before you do that thing that thing that you do so well which is label them?

• Glen McNamee says:

Still desperately trying for that higher ground then, Nicky?

Let’s look back at your comments. Firstly you turned up saying these false rumours “seemed plausible” because “lot of media coverage over the fact that some work places and buisnesses refused to let employee’s wear their poppy, from fear of offending certain group’s.”

Horrible spelling and grammar aside, when asked to provide examples of this media coverage. You provide a broken link to a story which was completely unrelated to “offending certain group’s”

After this humiliation, you start to defend an fantasists story about “muslum children would not [get changed] in the company of christians . because they feel we the nativs of this land are dirty people ” and then post several more broken links no of which mention ‘muslum children’ feeling that ‘we the nativs of this land are dirty people’ unsurprisingly because could frankly the whole idea is stupid.
          While doing this you say “Education is a mighty fine thing!” was is ironic considering your butchering of the language.

Finally you suggest I do some “research”, which was what this entire post was about, while misspelling my name.

If you are going to make any more comments in the future, I suggest you have a good hard think first.

• Bill says:

Kathleen, with the greatest of respect to your family and your military background, I feel compelled to point out that this issue is not to do with a perceived lack of respect to the poppy or the legion, it’s the peddling of lies intended to stir up general anti Muslim sentiment. The reported topic was that it was decided not to sell poppies for fear of offending the Muslim people – the actual reason for this is that this was due to an administrative failure, either in the council or in the legion itself.

That some extreme minorities have disrespected the poppy (these extremists are not typical of the Muslim people settled in this country) at other occasions ought not be considered in this matter as it is irrelevant. Perhaps worthy of separate discussion indeed, but so would be the clerical incompetence of Birmingham council, or even indeed the expansionist and illegal invasions this country has perpetrated throughout the world in ancient, middle and recent history. However, none of that is relevant to the point of the initial post.

• (Name Removed) says:

there is some very personal information here that i do not want to be shared.

16. Sandy Hardman says:

The way this country is going people will belief it.

17. Don’t believe the Hype. Muslim folks ain’t offended, not really. And who’s still worried about “Islam taking over”? Osama Bin Laden is dead, his organisation is in shambles, and Britain was back to work and all but healed within days of 7/7.

Now, let’s think happier thoughts about Muslims, after all, it was Muslim thinking that gave us the concept of Zero, and the numeric system that we use today. So don’t be telling me they’re all terrorists, that’s Absolute BS.

18. Strangely says:

Thanks for posting this up @Glenn. I’ve just had to bat an example of this nasty nonsense down that appeared from one of my FB chums. It’s a revelation to find out what apparently sensible folk will do in front of the computer and don’t even take the trouble to do a bit of research while there.
    It’s also a not-very-surprising but nevertheless saddening revelation to see the amount of commenters here that haven’t even understood what it is that you’ve written!

19. Neal_R says:

Thanks for posting this. Too may people tend to forget that the poppy commemorates the British and commonwealth war dead of ALL faiths and none, muslim, hindu, jewish, christian and atheist – I don’t know where this notion of the poppy being anti-anything came from! And if you really can’t find a poppy contact your local RBL/ RBLS branch, they will be more than happy to help you out. And don’t forget to check anything posted on your wall

20. Sufi says:

Too much rubbish is being spread on facebook people need to wake up and stop believing such pathetic idiotic status updates, how ignorant how gullible can we be? check out the facts first or best thing, don’t read bullshit then you might get infected with it. Sorry for being so blunt, but people need to wake up! as one person said here its main purpose is to spread racial and religious tension, simple, wake up people!.

21. Anonymous says:

it’s just a rumour something the BNP propably started

22. Anpanman says:

Yet again we see the direct link between racist views and an inability to write one’s own language.

23. Anonymous says:

People are right to get pissed off with this kind of thing. I’ve made a habit now of, when somebody re-posts a bulls**t story such as “Little Timmy is trapped down a Well but EU legislation says he can’t be rescued using a winch as he doesn’t have a hard-hat and minorities are offended by the winch looking a bit like a cross”, of attaching a link to a website like this de-bunking such b*llocks. These things can seem fairly innocuous but they do achieve the desired effect of the people that perpetuate these stories, which is that people see the posts and come away thinnking “Bloody Muslims, trying to tell me what I can do in my own country”. When such stories are clearly made-up.

24. Alan Young says:

So are we therefore wrong to believe that our national identity, beliefs, freedoms etc.,etc. are being eroded by a multicultural society that we were not consulted about, but simply had foisted upon us for dubious political reasons???

• Glen McNamee says:

I don’t know where to start with this one.

Are you seriously asking if because the above rumour is wrong, is your question about an unrelated scenario wrong?

If that is the case, the answer is no.

You are wrong for many other reasons, the biggest of which being because your question is completely invalid.

Try writing it again. Provide examples, but without sounding like a mentalist.

25. mafiagurl says:

i love this blog. got so engrossed in following it, i forgot how i stumbled across it in the 1st place.

oh, and what glen said 😉

26. David Holloway says:

There are a certain minorotiy that are not letting shoppers into there stores bescause the customer is wearing a poppy. I find this out ragious.

27. […] You can usually when the build up to this is happening.  The gutter press and Facebook rumours start: “Muslims find poppies offensive/are burning poppies/are desecrating war memorials!!!” (This is all deliberately vastly overhyped or just plain bullshit). […]

28. Anonymous says:

It is a highly offensive symbol to any right thinking person, the harm Britain inflicted on the world for centuries is shameful from a shameful evil empire

29. Linda Christie says:

Absolute lies but I’m sure those gullible (Sun/Mail/Express readers) will believe this tosh.
    And the blogger can’t spell either!

Leave some feedback.