Posted on Aug 26, 2010 in Programming
I’ve been so impressed my new HTC Desire I thought I would have a try at developing an application for it. I’ve not programmed anything for ages, so I thought it would be fun to give it a try. (This is completely unlike when I said I would do this for in Morphun on my Sony Ericsson T310 in 2003, which never came to anything)
Turns out it’s a bit of a pain in the arse to set up. First of all I had to download the Android SDK, then download the SDK platform. The SDK platform matches the Android firmwear type (e.g. 1.6, 2.1 etc). So If you want to develop for different phones with firmwares I need to download each one. It also requires the Java Development Kit (JDK) so I had to download this from the Sun/Oracle website.
After downloading and setting up all of this you can start your programming. However you have to run everything via a command line interface, and didn’t fancy doing it that way so I installed the Eclipse IDE and the Android Development Tools (ADT) Plugin for Eclipse.
So after installing everything and setting it all up, I’ve managed to get everything to get an emulated Android phone to say “Hello World” and it feels great! Stay tuned to Project Android for further updates.